7 replies to this topic

#1 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSoutheast (Brighton), Michigan

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

We'll see if it will dry. I cut some first cut brome that I never got to by mid summer and I just wait until late fall like this after the second growth basal leaves grow again and add a bunch of green to it, I do a bunch of it like this every year. Taking a break and gonna lay down some 3rd cut alfalfa. I figure after about one or two weeks I will get it up? 45 degrees today.

#2 jpritchett

jpritchett

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

We usually hay a little brome earlier in the year when its really green. It is good feed if u get it up right.

#3 jpritchett

jpritchett

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

I wish we could get a 3rd cutting of are alfalfa. We just took are second cutting a few weeks ago. Its to late now to worry about haying here. everything probably went dormant for the winter.

#4 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

I am way North of you, I wait until it gets dormant to cut it if I don't get to it by September 1st.

#5 jpritchett

jpritchett

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:41 PM

Are alfalfa just is not growing this year. We cover alot of acres to get are bales. Since we took are 2nd cutting the regrowth is maybe 6 inches. we've had such a cold and dry year its stunted and will not grow.

#6 jpritchett

jpritchett

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

I am way North of you, I wait until it gets dormant to cut it if I don't get to it by September 1st.

How far are you into minnesota. Do you have any bomgaars stores near you. I supply them with there twine and netwrap.

I sold a pallet of netwrap to a nice couple in trail minnesota. And i was thinking about maybe making a trip up there and visiting them.

#7 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

I am in Southern Michigan, I know sometimes if you don't look real close the MI looks alot like a MN.

#8 jpritchett

jpritchett

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

Sorry i read you were from brighton. And for some reason I just thought minnesota.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users