• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BCFENCE

BCFENCE

Hay Master

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

You guys that got alfalfa how many cuttings did you get this year, Ive gotten 4 when i should have gotten 6.

#2 Production Acres

Production Acres

Hay Master

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:21 AM

got 1 cutting on 1 farm so far - got 2 cuttings on 2/3 of our farms, got 3 cuttings on 100 acres - forcast rain for the next week - desperatly hoping for some hot dry weather yet.

#3 geiselbreth

geiselbreth

Hay Master

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

i did 6 lost last cutting because of frost and rain getting ready to burn for 2010 central ms.

#4 Cannon

Cannon

Hay Master

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

We got mostly 3 here in Colorado. I did very little 4th and no 5th this year.

#5 ChuckWagon

ChuckWagon

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

Only got 1 so far, now with lack of rain be lucky to get a decent 2nd cutting

#6 rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

Just like Cannon said, I average 3 to 4 cuttings depending on the field. Can almost always get a 4th if we cut 1st early.
Robert

#7 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,055 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

Opposite of Chuckwagon here, if it doesn't stop raining I'll be happy with three off about half my acres, the other half will only be two.

Like rob_cook2001 here most of the time, always get three, 4 if we can get started in May. Start time usually is usually decided by how well planting went with the row crops. A lot on that last cutting also depends on the weather in September, if it's taking a week to get a field dried and requires a lot of mechanical manipulation to get it dry, then the chances of getting a fourth off of all of it is drastically reduced. Where I'm at, Purdue recommends not cutting any later than September 15th.

Edited by mlappin, 11 August 2010 - 12:31 PM.

#8 barnrope

barnrope

Hay Master

• Members
  • 654 posts
  • LocationIowa/Minnesota border

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

We got third cutting off by August 8th here along the Iowa/Mn state line. We have good growth started on 4th. We never get more than 3 cuttings here, but this is the year for 4. Tonnage so far this year on the first 3 cuttings of Alfalfa brome fescue mix is about 5.75 per acre. A normal year usually yields 4-5 ton per acre. Corn and Soybeans are both looking equally as well.

#9 sedurbin

sedurbin

Hay Master

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSilex, MO (60 mi NW of St Louis)

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

Finished square baling 3rd a week ago and should be able to get the 4th. First two were difficult to get in and were put up a little damp (low 20's) in round bales and was bought by a dairy at .75 per RFV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users