32 replies to this topic

#1 Hayguy

Hayguy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFitchburg,Wisconsin

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

In our area (S. Wis.) , hay prices seem to be stuck at $3.00 or less per small bale . Stables seem to think you're greedy if you ask for more. The dairy industry seems to be really hurting with the low milk prices so it's easy to see why they are unwilling to pay more. We've never had any kind of price support from the government like the grain farmers (probably a good thing) . When I compare the price we receive for our hay in the Midwest, with prices we hear about on the East and West coasts and in the Southern states , it's hard to understand why there is such a difference . My biggest concern is the high fertilizer prices. We can't afford to buy commercial fertilizer with these low hay prices, and yet we can't survive for long if we don't. The problem is there is no alternative for commercial potash. Comments?
  • Tim/South likes this

#2 Production Acres

Production Acres

Hay Master

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:19 AM

I don't think you ever will see the prices in the midwest that we see here in the south or the east, or the extreme west. We are in a high population area, not much farming at all. You are in a population sparce area - lots of farming. There is a lot of demand for a premium product here from a very small super wealthy community. Interstingly, certain classes of hay here in the south are almost worthless as well - rd bales - doesn't hardly matter the size, bring $20-30/bale. Fescue hay $2-3/bale. Bermuda in deep south $4-6/bale retail. Timothy/alfalfa same retail location, $8-14/bale.
Similarly, certain classes of hay customers will never pay premium prices for hay as a general rule - Walking horses, cow/calf operations, stockers, backyard horse owners, goats, donkeys, trail rides.
High hay prices are also 90% about service and package, and 10% about quality. You cannot sell a $10,000 bull out of a pasture with briars and thistle, behind single strand electric fence with a frame score of 3, at 9pm with no lights but a flashlight to look at him.
  • anokes and jdhayboy like this

#3 river rat

river rat

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hay Guy, similar problems here in SE SD. How much would you like to get and what do your bales weigh? Also what type of forage?

#4 Hayguy

Hayguy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFitchburg,Wisconsin

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

We raise alfalfa- OG mix for the local horse stables- mostly 45 to 50# small squares. During a recent rainy spell, we sold off about 30 acres or 2nd crop to a local dairy farmer who wrapped it up for baleage. It helped us get caught up with the cutting schedule, but I'm sure I would have netted more $ if I made small squares. If we could get 4 to 5$ a bale , we could probably get by OK unless diesel fuel goes over 4$ again.

#5 stevemsinger

stevemsinger

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

I am in Kentucky. One of the things that bothers me most about the price of hay is the guys that make this stuff regardless of quality and sell it for 1.50 - 2.00a bale. They have been advertising it at that price all year. They advertise it as Alfalfa mix, or quality horse hay. I don't know what is in it, but I am sure they didn't pay for seed, fertilizer and maintenance and then sell it at that price. These are the same guys that will sell for a couple of years and then you will see their equipment up for sale and will be saying we just could not make any money. How smart do you have to be to figure that out. In the meantime they are killing the market and causing the rest of us to struggle. We don't have the urban market to sell to, so we have to sell to the average person that does not know quality. When it gets real bad we buy more cattle and feed it out that way. I guess they know what their product is worth, but they can't seem to figure out what their costs are. They are just swapping dollars and losing money on every deal until they are broke.
  • somedevildawg likes this

#6 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,974 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

I have a loyal customer of 15 yrs tell me a guy pulls on his yard and tells him he has hay for sale." I don't care what you are paying I'll sell it for $5 a ton less"My customer told him he wasn't interested,that he was satsfied with his hay supplier.

Glad my customer remembered the times that he called at 5 PM with cattle just bought and would be arriving at midnight and he needed hay by 8 AM.

What burns me now is people low balling the price to my yr rd customers so they can move their hay from the directly from field.Than I'll get to deal with snow,ice,mud and rd postings the rest of the yr.

#7 Airspace1

Airspace1

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:27 AM

Im finding these forums to be so informal to my learning experences. Yes hay is higher in florida than in the mid west. Now that we are bailing our own hay for our own horses and others Im hoping to expanding on helping our fellow hay growers. Ive created a newsgroup that allows hay sellers to advertise there hay and even pictures of there cutting etc. By doing this we are creating a larger database on sellers and dealers to every potential buyer out there. Hope many growers will join our group into growing our resources. Just email me at phazzII@yahoo.com and I will send you an invitation. Where you can list your hay and photos in the file section and photo section. Thanks

#8 Production Acres

Production Acres

Hay Master

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

Looks like another way to fleece farmers. When you are so ignorant as to not know how to spell Bale, you are not smart enough to set up a website to sell my hay. Please take this spam off this list. There are already lots of hay list out there!

#9 NCSteveH

NCSteveH

Hay Master

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

Looks like another way to fleece farmers. When you are so ignorant as to not know how to spell Bale, you are not smart enough to set up a website to sell my hay. Please take this spam off this list. There are already lots of hay list out there!

+1

you took the words out of my mouth.

#10 bhounds

bhounds

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

biggest concern is the high fertilizer prices. We can't afford to buy The problem is there is no alternative for commercial potash. Comments?

I can’t speak from experience or knowledge of it, but a local hog farmer that my brother does work on his equipment will argue that hog manure has potash in it. He states that he has been told there is not, but states that his test comes back with a higher reading and never uses commercial fertilizer. John

#11 okhillbilly

okhillbilly

Hay Master

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hay sales and prices may start to go up some now that winter is getting close. Been having a lot more calls about hay in the past weeks with the cool wet weather we've been having. May be a little shortage around for small squares because of this unusual year for getting hay put up. I still have hay sitting in the field with rain expected off and on for the next week.

#12 Barry Bowen

Barry Bowen

Freeland Hay Maker

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

Here in the mid atlantic, prices are not too good either. If you have a reputation and established customers you can do okay, but auction prices are still barely what it costs to make it, but no profit at all. As a hay producer you have to market or teach your customers what is quality in hay, but then you have to provide that higher quality. High quality will always sell at a fair price if you expose it and persist with it.

There are alternatives to high prices commercial fertilizers for those of use who can not use manures. The Growers Mineral Solution people have a great program centered around returning the calcium to the soil that has been depleted over the years (low calcium is not the case in all parts of the country but is the case in many parts), and using solution fertilizers. I have had great success with these methods, and the cost are substantially less after the first year where you have to catch up the calcium level in your soils. The basic idea is get the soil healthy, and it will take care of the plants.

Edited by Barry Bowen, 26 November 2009 - 10:25 AM.

• NDVA HAYMAN and JD3430 like this

#13 nwfarmer

nwfarmer

Hay Master

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:21 PM

Same in Wyoming. The desperate starving farmers are selling their hay cheap. I have lost a few good customers due to holding our price.

#14 nwfarmer

nwfarmer

Hay Master

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

Our hay is starting to move faster. I don't see any ads for small bales in the paper.

#15 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • LocationSoutheast (Brighton), Michigan

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

In a slow market like we are having here in Michigan the round bales is what is really not selling and about half my hay is rolled. I have been holding price on squares and thank god for year round customers, that is at least keeping me on life support right now. I know what all you guys mean about people under cutting hay prices and giving the stuff away.

#16 Barry Bowen

Barry Bowen

Freeland Hay Maker

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

I have found that new customers are usually looking for price, but referrals from existing customers tend to be willing to pay a reasonable price. If it were not for the people I have been dealing with for years, it could be time to get out of doing hay.

#17 Robin Craig

Robin Craig

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

I have posted this same sentiment in another area of the forum, but once again, please, how can you post a price of $5 per small square when you dont tell us what weight the bale is so that we can compute the per ton price?

So, can we see that please? That would have meaning.

If I am being dense and there is a "standard" weight that has been set by some organistion and is recognised across the breadth and depth of the hay producing market could somebody tell me so I can take the knot out of my face please?

Robin

#18 mike p

mike p

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

at $2. a 50 lb bale for fescue & not getting calls i took my add off CL will waight till winter & try again

#19 shortrow

shortrow

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSW Ohio

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hmmmmmmm. Dense.

#20 judejames

judejames

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:46 AM