• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NCSteveH

NCSteveH

Hay Master

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:48 PM

Ok, a few years back I bought some acreage that was a former dairy farm, have just over 50 acres of hay fields, first year that I baled it I got ~6000 small squares off it. Things happen and I got pulled away from being able to bale it every year so for the last 5-6 years all I've been able to do is mow it down with the disk mower after it has gone to seed and a few weeks later come back over it with the flail mower to chop it all up.

now my questions,

1. when they are talking about tons per acre, is that per year or per cutting?

2. should I give the fields a quick raking in the spring to clean up any clumps of mulch?

3. The property runs along a major river, anyone ever draft water out of a river for irrigation when needed?

4. how effective has craigs list been for marketing hay in the field? are the people coming when you tell them to?

This property is in Maine just north of Bangor, am I going to have to plan on shipping a majority of it to find a demand? Thinking along the lines of purchasing a gooseneck and bigger truck.

#2 stevemsinger

stevemsinger

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:13 AM

Around here when we talk tons per acre we are meaning for the year, unless we specifiy a cutting. I have never drafted water so I don't know about that one. We don't go over our fields with a rake in the spring. What we do is to go around and clean them up in regards to blown down limbs and trash from the roads or the woods. My experience with Craigs List has been moderate. Some show up as stated and some just do a lot of e-mailing. We sell more by word of mouth and posting in the local paper and at stock yards. Hope it helps.

#3 Rodney R

Rodney R

Hay Master

• Members
  • 718 posts
  • LocationHamburg, PA

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

I would think the flial mower would be a better tool than the rake.... When you say a quick raking.... exactly what do you mean? Are you actually trying to make rolls or what?

Tons/acre would be per yer

Draft water..... what is that? -Or do you mean pumping? I know that some guys have had trouble with 'trash' clogging the suction lines when the river has dirty water - leaves/sticks..... You may also have to check into how water is dealt with - you may not be allowed to get water out of the river, unless you pay.

No idea on craigs list, but I would imagine that it depends more on the person, and how bad they want the hay. I've never sold anything out in the field. We've always had to truck anything that was worthwhile.

Rodney

#4 nwfarmer

nwfarmer

Hay Master

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:37 AM

I think you have to check out your local market. Different places in the country market differently. We have hay brokers come through here. Problem sometimes is they want the hay and pay later. Some want to buy hay standing in the field.

I wouldn't put a draft in a stream without authorization.

#5 stevemsinger

stevemsinger

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

I don't know how things are there, but here you can market your hay through the extension office. They maintain a list of people that have hay available in the state. It is not real well known yet, but I think it will be very useful as awareness grows.

#6 NCSteveH

NCSteveH

Hay Master

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

I guess I should have made it more clear, the reason I would think about raking is to just clean up any clumps of mulch that would get picked up in a sellable product and lower its quality, since it hasn't been harvested in a few years. but yeah I can see how the flail will be easier just chopping the stuff up again to decompose.

Edited by NCSteveH, 17 July 2009 - 08:52 AM.

#7 nwfarmer

nwfarmer

Hay Master

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

We can market through the extension office here also but it is just free on line ads. I put ads on line through them but get very few calls. Mostly out of area calls. Lots of scams going on for out of area type buyers. We opened a savings account ($25) Deposits only. No withdrawals except in person. If they want to come pick up hay from out of state they wire deposit. When the money is there they can pick up the hay. There is no way to scam the account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users