• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

Wow, what a season. WHat do you think would be next year's plans...more acres...try a new seed, buy a preservative package, build a new building, new tractor, new baler, new rake, new mower, or stay where you at because life is good.

#2 Feed Hay

Feed Hay

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthern IL

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:16 AM

Tedder and preservtive package for the baler for sure, this year was tough and it is so humid in southern IL that I think it is the best next step for me.

Edited by Feed Hay, 04 October 2008 - 08:17 AM.
spelling

#3 Alfalfa Farmer

Alfalfa Farmer

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

Picked up 24 more acres for next spring. This is going to be horse hay, so I am talking to the horse folks in the area to see what they want. Most are OK with preservatives. Probably going to buy an accumulator and a grabber for my Farmall 95 loader tractor

#4 chetlenox

chetlenox

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

Basic Winter Plans:

1) Go through all current equipment, one at a time, and make sure they are ready for next season.
2) Buy myself a small square baler. This will be the final piece of equipment for me to be self-sufficient (I currently rent a neighbor's baler)
3) Soil test in March, apply fertilizer to Texas A&M recommendations
4) Look for a good cheap used industrial fan to use in my hay loft... lost ~30 bales due to mold in a poorly ventilated area of the barn this year.
5) Rest my back :)

Chet.

#5 4020man

4020man

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:58 PM

I'm not sure. I would like to either upgrade to a bigger square baler or buy a round baler. I'm also looking for a tractor at this point in time too. It all depends on what my budget permits.

#6 Lazy J

Lazy J

Lazy J Farms Feed and Hay

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGrabill, Indiana

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:16 AM

We will be dramatically increasing our acres on our farm: 18 acres 50:50 crop share, 22 acres cash rented, and 11 acres owned. This in addition to various contracted custom work.

We are also seriously looking at getting a Kuhns Accumulator. We have a very good supply of labor from the neighborhood, but the accumulator would greatly improve our flexibility and speed.

We need to add storage, but we are searching very hard for buildings we can rent this year so we don't have to build this year.

We will be adding a tedder this winter. We have not yet decided between a Sitrex or the NH.

Jim

#7 Hayboy1

Hayboy1

Hay Master

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

Hopefully be retired...oh alright that isn't going to happen for like 40 more years....Hopefully get soil tests done on a 30 acre piece, get sunflowers in, pray to god this Co-Op goes as planned and start making my own fuel. And then we will be on to our 375 acres of hayground!! Oh and I willl be praying for a much better summer than this one was!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users